Saturday, November 7, 2009

A little late but aged to perfection...

Hello All,

If you haven’t heard, my book is just a week away from publication. I am so excited to share it with all of you. I am planning to order a large order to be here before Christmas so if you are interested in getting some shopping done early, let me know how many you’d like. This first run will be discounted and I want to pass on the savings!

Due to all my work on the book, I have been a little late getting the blog done this week. Please accept my apology. I think this week’s menu will make up for my tardiness. I was discussing my love of sweet potatoes with a friend and it got me thinking. I’m including three great recipes that use this great vegetable.

The drink this week is also a delight. My friend Amy gave me her recipe. It is really delicious and almost healthy.

Day 1 – Sweet Potato Spaghetti
I really love this simple pasta dish. It only takes 25 minutes and can feed an army.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/spaghetti-sweet-potatoes-ricotta-recipe-00000000020553/index.html

Day 2 – Lasagna Burgers
I saw this on Rachael Ray and had to try it. It is awesome. I like to eat mine without a top bun with a knife and fork to lower the carbs. And p.s. I also used a jarred marinara sauce. It made it super easy.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/lasagna-burgers/

Day 3 – Breakfast Night
Last week, I was really craving some breakfast. I found a box of Bisquick and made some biscuits. I fried up some bacon and scrambled some eggs. In minutes, I had a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit that put the fast food restaurants to shame.

Day 4 – Sausage, Peppers, and Onions
Sausage is on sale this week. I think Vasek could live on brats and beer. This recipe works with Italian sausage, brats, and even regular hotdogs.

3 T. olive oil
1 package sausages, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2-3 bell peppers, sliced
1 package instant mashed potatoes, prepared as directed

In large skillet, heat a cup of water over medium high heat. Add sausages and cover. Cook 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Drain water and add oil. Heat until sizzling and add onions and peppers. Cook until everything is browned and edges of sausages are crispy. Serve along side the potatoes.

Day 5 – Baked Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Onions
This is a beautiful dish to serve to guests and a comfort food for an everyday meal. It’s also super cheap to make.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/chicken-sweet-potatoes-onions-recipe-00000000020565/index.html

Day 6 – Chicken Wings with Pepper Jelly Glaze
This recipe will satisfy the crowd at any tailgate. I love the pepper jelly combo of sweet and spicy. It takes so few ingredients you’ll impress without breaking a sweat.

20-30 wings
Salt and pepper
Pepper jelly
Celery and carrot sticks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. (I usually put foil on the baking sheet so I don’t have to wash the sticky jelly off later.) Place wings on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes turning once. Take wings out of oven and coat with pepper jelly. Put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until jelly is sticky and wings are cooked through. Serve with celery and carrot sticks.

Day 7 – Leftover Night
Enjoy a night off and clean out the fridge. You really can cook every night and like God, rest on the seventh day.

Drink of the Week – Cronic Tonic
In a tall glass filled with ice, add 1 shot of rum. Fill the glass halfway with pineapple juice. Top it off with Sprite or Sprite Zero.

Dessert of the Week – Sweet Potato SoufflĂ©
You can’t beat this recipe. I use canned for this. It saves a ton of time but if you’re already baking some potatoes, by all means throw several more in and use fresh. You can also leave out the coconut. I love it but many people don’t like the texture.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Potato-Souffle-2/Detail.aspx


With a published book in one hand and drink to toast it in the other,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment