Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Here's what to bring to dinner...

Hello All,

I guess you’ve all heard by now that my book is finally published. I want to thank all of you that supported me through this long process. Someone asked me if it was like having a baby. Shoot no, you are guaranteed delivery after nine months. This book took over two long years. You can find my book at:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/your-best-friends-guide-to-saving-time-money-and-the-world/5946860

Now for this week’s recipes, I have compiled my favorite holiday dishes. I’m giving you one a day, not a full meal. My goal in doing this is give you an option no matter what you are asked to bring to the family gathering. These are also great all year so save them for later if you don’t need them right away. These are not necessarily great health foods but many are delicious comfort foods.

Day 1 – Roasted Acorn Squash
This is a great alternative to a cooked squash casserole. It is interesting on the plate and wonderfully delicious. I had raves for this by people who don’t eat veggies.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/roasted-acorn-squash-10000000671386/print-index.html

Day 2 – Sausage Balls
Those of you who know me well, know that I love sausage balls so much I make them year round, freeze them, and eat them for breakfast. I even make them into patties so they fit happily into a biscuit or pita. This is the go-to recipe I use.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sausage-Balls-2/Detail.aspx

Day 3 – Green Bean Casserole
This is the classic casserole that we all love. I’ve tried to make it from scratch but it never tastes as good as this. I know it’s not the healthiest but it what I crave at Thanksgiving. I’ll also confess that I use a huge can of green beans and not the frozen ones. Knock yourself out.

http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/green-bean-casserole-RE1511.html

Day 4 – Baked Chickens with Stuffing
This is an all-American dinner if there is such a thing. If you’re having dinner for just a few, consider making one or two of these to cut down on the cooking time. Who really wants to wake up before dawn on turkey day? Cheat a little and make Stove Top stuffing; no one will care!


4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 (4-5 lb.) whole chickens, rinsed and patted dry
1 T. olive oil
4 baking potatoes cut into large chunks
2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
2 large carrots, cut into large chunks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all vegetables on baking sheet with sides or roasting pan. Stir together salt and pepper. Sprinkle ½ tsp. salt mixture inside cavity of each chicken. Rub each chicken with ½ T. olive oil. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on chickens. Rub it in. Place chickens, breast side up on vegetables. Bake for 1 ½ hours or until legs and wings begin to fall away from body or meat thermometer registers 180 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with roasted vegetables under birds. Let cool completely before refrigerating leftovers.

Day 5 – Pumpkin Gangta’ Pie
This is a pie I make every year. It’s taken on a life of its own. I love to top it with whipped cream in a can, especially chocolate. It is a very impressive looking dessert. This makes two. Keep one at home to eat later and look like the girl with self-control when you say “no” to pie at the big dinner.

2 frozen pie crusts, not deep dish
1 8-ounce package of mascarpone or cream cheese
1 egg yolk
2 T. honey
½ tsp vanilla
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 5-ounce can evaporated milk
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Let pie crusts and mascarpone cheese come to room temp.
In a mixing bowl, beat mascarpone, egg yolk, honey, and vanilla with mixer until smooth. Set aside. In another bowl, beat eggs, pumpkin, milk, sugar, and spices. Pour this mixture into crusts. Spoon mascarpone mixture into small mounds on top of pumkin mixture. Heat a sharp knife in hot water. Pull knife through mounds and swirl. This should make a swirl pattern. If not, it will still taste great! Bake for 40-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let pies cool and then refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Day 6 – Prune Cake
I know, prunes are not sexy. I’m doing for the prune with Timberlake did to sexy; I’m bringing it back. This is an old family recipe that is delicious and makes your whole house smell great. It is a dessert but would be equally delicious as a brunch item. You can also make this whole wheat by using whole wheat self-rising flour.

2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
3-4 eggs, mix in one at a time
2 jars prune baby food
1 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, start at the top of this list and whisk in each ingredient. Pour into a loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (You can also use a 13x9 inch pan but you’ll have to bake it for 45 minutes.)

While still hot, mix 2 T. lemon juice with 1 cup confectioner’s sugar. Poke holes all through the cake with a skewer or toothpick. Pour lemon mixture on top. It will soak into the cake.

Day 7 – REST!!!
Take a day to rest your bones and stomach. You should have plenty of left-overs or call for pizza.

Drink of the Week – Pumpkin Pie-tini
This is all the fun of a pie but none of that pesky chewing required.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/drink-cocktail-recipes/Pumpkin-Pie-Martinis

I wish you much love and lots of family time this week. I am truly blessed with a wonderful family and great friends. I’m thankful for each one of you!!!

With dressing and turkey and sweets, oh my!
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment