Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring Break...Here I come!

Hello Again,

I know you are all waiting like I am for the baby. It’s Saturday night and still no baby. I thought I’d get this week’s menu together in hopes to bring on labor. I am also on spring break which means I am trying to relax. This week, I’ve included quick and easy meals that can double up in some cases as lunch or dinner for the next day.

I hope you enjoy these. I hope I’m eating hospital food and holding my new baby. I’ll keep you posted.

Day 1 – Two for One Baked Chickens
This is modified from a recipe in Southern Living magazine. You’ll use the leftovers for tomorrow’s quesadillas or BBQ chicken pizza.
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 (4-5 lb.) whole chickens, rinsed and patted dry
1 T. olive oil
4 baking potatoes cut into large chunks
2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
2 large carrots, cut into large chunks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all vegetables on baking sheet with sides or roasting pan. Stir together salt and pepper. Sprinkle ½ tsp. salt mixture inside cavity of each chicken. Rub each chicken with ½ T. olive oil. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on chickens. Rub it in. Place chickens, breast side up on vegetables. Bake for 1 ½ hours or until legs and wings begin to fall away from body or meat thermometer registers 180 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with roasted vegetables under birds. Let cool completely before refrigerating leftovers.

Day 2 – BBQ Chicken Pizza
This is a great quick and easy recipe that is nice enough to serve to guests.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/barbecued-chicken-pizza?backto=true

Day 3 – Quick Cheese and Chicken Quesadillas
This is a go to meal if you have only 15 minutes to cook.

Heat skillet to med-hi heat and cook whole-wheat tortillas filled with cheese, chicken, and salsa. Cut into triangles and serve with salsa and sour cream.

Day 4 – Black Bean Soup in the Slow Cooker
This is super easy recipe to throw in the crock pot and go about your day. It’s also very healthy.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1879976

Day 5 – Pasta Puttanesca
This is a favorite at my house. It’s almost all canned or pantry items.

http://rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=401

Day 6 – Grilled Sausages with Onions and Sweet Potatoes
This is the meal my husband most often cooks. We buy the Italian sausages in the deli section and wrap each onion and sweet potato in foil. We use the grill to do all the cooking. To make the onions even more special, sprinkle a little seafood seasoning on them with a pat of butter. Enjoy!

Day 7 – Leftover Night
Use whatever’s in the fridge to fill your plate.

Soon with lots of labor and a bundle of love,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment