Monday, May 4, 2009

I'm back, plus one!

Hello Everyone!!!

I am happy to report that I am back to blogging with new baby in tow. Baby Vendula was born 2 weeks ago and is doing great. Vasek and I are getting less sleep but it is totally worth it.

This week’s menu is for those of you that are super busy. I am using quite a few convenience foods, pantry items, and simple recipes that you can literally throw together. I hope you’ll continue going through the menu and making your grocery list. I have been keeping my grocery store total to $50 or less and you can, too.

Day 1 – Baked Hawaiian Chicken with Rice and Veggie
This recipe cooks for an hour and half but the hands on time is 5 minutes. You’ll use it tomorrow night as well to make a great pizza.

Place a whole chicken minus the skin in a baking dish. Salt and pepper it. Brush on a thick coat of apricot jam. Pour a can of crushed pineapple in juices over chicken. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Use juices from chicken as gravy over cooked rice and a side of your favorite veggie. Reserve remaining chicken and pineapple for tomorrow night.

Day 2 – Hawaiian BBQ Pizza
This is my own creation. It is fantastic. Use a store bought pizza crust to make it super simple.

1 store bought pizza crust
2 cups shredded chicken
1 cup BBQ sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can pineapple rings in juice

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat pizza stone, if using. Roll out crust with a little flour until desired shape. Place crust on stone. Mix chicken with BBQ sauce. Spread over pizza. Top with cheese and place pineapple slices on top. Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.

Day 3 – Veggie-“not”-sagna from Rachael Ray
This is one of my favorite recipes. It is so healthy and really tasty. I would even use less pasta to save on the carbs.

http://rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=1881

Day 4 – Grilled Chicken Breast with Roasted Asparagus Beds
You’ll love the simplicity of this meal plus it’s figure friendly.

Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill. Marinate chicken in your favorite Italian dressing. Place chicken on grill and cook turning once until chicken is no longer pink. Take chicken off grill and cover with foil to keep it warm. Place asparagus on grill and cook until bright green and crisp to the bite. Place a “raft” of asparagus on plate and top with chicken.

Day 5 – Taco Night
I noticed this week that the Old El Paso Taco Kit and ground beef were on sale. Those two things make this meal for 4 under $6. Just follow the directions on the box.

Day 6 – Clean Out Your Freezer Night
After my mom went shopping for me I noticed I had several freezer foods in the freezer. I will make a meal out of those. Most of you also have stuff in your freezer; use tonight to have a meal you paid for weeks ago.

Day 7 – Left Over Buffet
If you’re like me, your fridge will have several Tupperware of left overs from this week. Set them all out on the counter and let the family choose their favorites.

I am planning a completely veggie lovers menu for next week. Not only are meatless meals great for you, the environment also benefits. I am trying to appeal to those of you who think it’s not a meal without meat.

With baby hugs and kisses,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment