Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's the end of February already?

Hello All,

I can't believe that it's almost March. I have tried some new stuff this week and used the leftovers so there aren't as many recipes as usual. If you had told me that I would be making my own corn tortillas, I would've laughed with you. They are super easy and everyone can make them. I'll share some of what I've found to work best.

I have also had some huge cravings this week and looked up some of my favorites to see how I could make them with real, whole foods. I hope you are excited as I am about a baked blooming onion with homemade ranch. Yum!

Without further ado.

Meal 1 - Homemade Corn Tortillas
I made crockpot refried beans that I posted a couple of weeks ago with these. They are equally good with taco meat. The trick to making them really soft and fluffy is to let them rest for an hour.



2 cups masa harina
1-2 cups hot water
1 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, mix masa and salt with a cup of water and mix well. It should feel like play dough. Add water as needed to soften dough. Cover and let sit for an hour. Roll dough into a log. Cut in half, then half again, and again until you have 16 pieces. Roll each piece into little balls and cover with the towel. Press the dough flat with a tortilla press or two plates lined with plastic wrap. Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Place tortillas one at a time into skillet. Let them blister on each side for 45-60 seconds. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Fill as desired.

Meal 2 - Mexican Frittata
This is a great way to use leftovers from the night before. This is also a great way to use any leftover veggies. It's a wonderful meatless meal at that.


10 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked veggies, chopped
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an oven-safe skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil to medium heat. Mix scramble eggs, milk, rice, and cheddar cheese. Pour into skillet and gently stir begin cooking the eggs for 15 minutes. Pour salsa into the eggs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the center is set and edges are browned. Remove from oven and cut into wedges. Serve with taco toppings.

Meal 3 - Baked Blooming Onion
This is not exactly a meal but definitely fills a craving that I have. This version uses all real foods and tastes great!

1 large Vidalia onion, topped trimmed off and cut into 16 wedges keeping the root intact
2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 T. cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet. Place onion in the middle and separate the onion petals as much as possible. Mix the bread crumbs and seasoning in a small bowl. Brush the egg all the way to the base of the onion and in between each petal. Push bread crumb mixture to each petal trying to keep as much as possible on the onion. Wrap the foil around onion and seal. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, then open the foil and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove and serve with homemade ranch.

Meal 4 - Stovetop Lentils
I normally make lentils in the crockpot but this is super easy and though it takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, it's mostly the beans cooking on the stove. I used green lentils but brown or green would also work in this.

2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 box of chicken stock
olive oil
red pepper flakes
parmesan cheese

In a pot with a lid, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil on medium high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add lentils and coat with oil. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 35-45 minutes until lentils are soft. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes to taste.

I'm working on some recipes to use more of the masa harina. I don't buy ingredients that I can't use again…though I will be making more tortillas really soon. :)

With a warm kitchen and cool drink,
Brooke




No comments:

Post a Comment