Sunday, January 27, 2013

Non-Edibles

Hello All,

We've almost made it through January and my house is trying to do a no-spend week. If you've never heard of this, it's when you try really hard not to spend any money on groceries or anything else. Since we will hopefully begin renovating our kitchen in the next couple of months, we need to start pairing down what we have in our cabinets. We will of course need to buy milk since the kids drink it in the morning and evening.

I said all this to be able to share a couple of non-edible recipes that I or my friends use around the house. I'm sure this sounds weird but many things we pay a high price for we can easily make ourselves for pennies on the dollar. Here are some of my favorites.

Baby Wipes -
We go through our fair share of wipes. This recipe is so easy and cheap I'm not sure why more people don't make them. The tea tree oil is the only thing remotely odd but one little bottle will last you a long time. Recycle two old wipes boxes. We noticed that diaper rash disappeared after a couple days. It really is great.

1 roll of the 1/2 sheet paper towels, Vive works best but Bounty is also a good choice
2 cups hot water
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. baby shampoo or wash
4-8 drops tea tree oil
2 empty wipes boxes

Using a sharp knife to cut the whole roll of paper towels in half. Unwind the paper towels and fold them like an accordion into small pile. Place them in the wipe boxes. In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients until well mixed. Pour half in each wipe box slowly to make sure the paper towels get completely damp. Close lid and turn upside down for five minutes. Turn right side up and you're ready to go.

Clothing Detergent -
This was something I thought was completely weird to make. After trying it, I was convinced. You use just 1-2 tablespoons per load! It also cuts out most of the fragrances and dyes. It does take a little bit of arm strength but I've read some people use a food processor.

1 bar of soap, use whatever you normally bathe with
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
1/2 cup salt

Grate bar of soap with a box grater or food processor. Mix with the other ingredients. Store in an airtight container. I keep a tablespoon with it for measuring. This works in HE or regular machines. It's really great.

Dishwasher Detergent -
Full disclosure on this one. I haven't tried this recipe yet. I am trying to use up my current box so that I don't have two detergents open at once. This is a friend's recipe that she says works really well. It's very similar to the clothes detergent.

2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
4 tablespoons salt
1 envelope of lemonade Kool-Aid

Mix and store in an airtight container. Use as you normally would. I've come to realize that smelling clean doesn't actually mean something's clean. I'm limiting the amount of additional fragrances so I'll be omitting the Kool-Aid.

All-Purpose Cleaner -
This is my go-to cleaner for everything but windows and mirrors. I use it to clean the counter, glass-top stove, table top, and fridge. You won't believe how easy.

1 spray bottle, recycled from an old cleaner
white vinegar

Put vinegar into spray bottle. Spray on surface and wipe clean with towel or paper towel. Don't worry about the smell. As it dries, the vinegar smell goes away.

Soft Hands and Feet Scrub -
This scrub is great to give as a gift or use yourself on rough hands, feet and elbows. It's also great to use on your whole body before tanning.

3 cups fine sugar or salt
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon, vanilla, or almond extract

Place all ingredients into a jar and shake well. Rub onto skin for a minute then rinse off with hot water. Pat dry. The only caution I have for this is that if you use sugar, be sure to clean the sink or shower after use. Ants will find any leftover sugar.

Hair Detangler -
With three girls, this has become a life saver. It's super simple and is so good for the hair.

3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 cup hot water
1 spray bottle

Combine oil and water in spray bottle. Shake well and spray on hair before brushing. Brush hair. If the oil solidifies, run or soak bottle in a sink of hot water.

I'm sure there are a ton of other ideas our there. These are just some I know work. If you have any non-edible recipes that you use, please send them to me. I'd love to use them in an upcoming post.

With a clean house and detangled hair,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment