Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fall break is finally here!!!

Hello All,

It is fall break and it couldn't get here soon enough. Life has been insanely crazy this week and it'll take a whole week to recover. I have no big plans except to lunch with the ladies on afternoon. With that said, I hope you're not expecting some elaborate meal plans.

I was asked this week if I cook from scratch every night. The truthful answer is of course not. I use convenience foods when I'm too tired or lazy. This doesn't mean that I go through the drive through. That isn't an option on my current budget. I have some go-to meal helpers. As the song says, "I get by with a little help from my friends." I thought this week, I'd share these with you. These are only sugestions; feel free to change them to fit your family's needs.

Day 1 - Pizza (and meatless Monday)
If you've never tried refridgerated pizza crust, you are missing out! To make it taste more like take-out, sprinkle the pan with corn meal.

Use refridgerated pizza crust, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. Top with your family's favorite toppings and serve a side salad to make it more balanced.

Day 2 - Breakfast for Dinner, Pancakes and Eggs
This is also a favorite family meal. I just tried frozen pancakes and they were great. (I had a coupon.) You can easily make them yourself with pancake mix. I scramble up some eggs to add to the protein. To finish off the meal, pick up some cut fruit. This is sure to please everyone in the family. My husband usually offers to cook some bacon, too.

Day 3 - Old El Paso Tacos
This is so simple and tastes great. I sugest that you get some shredded lettuce and tomatoes to top these. You can always find ground beef on sale.

Day 4 - Hamburger Helper
This classic will bring back really great memories. I serve it with a frozen veggie. Pick your favorite flavor. There are even new chicken helpers that I use canned chicken with.

Day 5 - Soup and Sandwich Night
Get your favorite can of soup and heat to can directions. Make your favorite sandwich; we love grilled cheese.

Day 6 -Frozen Appetizer Night
You can find some great things in the freezer section. I love mozzarella sticks and perogis. Jalepeno poppers are also a great addition. Warm everything to directions and have a picnic dinner while watching a movie.

Day 7 - Left-over Night
Use up any left-overs tonight.

Dessert of the Week - Good Ol' Fashion Ice Cream Sandwiches
These favorites never go out of style. Teach your children the joy of chocolate cookies and vanilla ice cream.

Drink of the Week - Box O' Sangria
I found that Target has a great boxed sangria that will last virtually forever in the fridge. It makes every night a special occasion.

I hope this week gives you some well deserved down time. I know I'm looking forward to some.

With pantry items and boxed wine,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment