Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Lydiebug inspired me this week.

Hello All,

I was described this week by a longtime friend as a “Suzy-Homemaker.” At first I was a little offended. I’m not sure why. I work hard to make a home for my family, not just a house or a place to stay. I decided I would gladly accept this new title, embrace it, and move forward as the new “Suzy.” Instead of letting an antiquated idea of what a mother should be, I’ll rework it into something more realistic. I can work fulltime and still make dinner for my family. I don’t have to be the only one doing laundry. Truth be told, Vasek’s a much better cleaner. From now on, I define me and the titles people give me.

My oldest turns four this week. It’s bittersweet. I love her independence but it also a reminder that she will not be little forever. To celebrate, I made zucchini chocolate cupcakes. Yes, cupcakes with vegetables. They are to die for. I’m giving you the recipe to taste for yourself.

We also let Lydie pick her birthday dinner. She chose spaghetti tacos. I’m including the recipe for those of you brave enough to try them. To quote Carly Shay, “What? Spaghetti can’t exist in a hard crunch shell?”

I hope you enjoy this week’s menu as much as I enjoy eating it.

Day 1 – Black Bean Burgers with Squash Dippers and homemade Mayo
This is a quick meatless Monday meal that takes just seconds to prepare, even the mayonnaise if you have a stick blender.

Frozen black bean burger patties, cooked to directions on box
Rolls split
Tomatoes, sliced
Lettuce or spinach, washed

Place burgers on rolls and top with veggies. Slather on mayo from recipe below.

Squash, sliced thin
Dip or salsa

Use squash just like chips to dip in your favorite salsa or dip.

1 egg
1 cup oil
Juice of ½ a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large mouth jar. Use stick blender until all ingredients emulsify, or turn white and creamy. Use on burgers.

Day 2 – ZucCakes
Lydie’s teachers actually ask for these. I make them mini sized for kids and regular sized for adults. They are great with cream cheese or butter cream frosting. To make them even healthier, replace the oil with an equal amount of sugar free applesauce.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000281.html

Day 3 – Spaghetti Tacos
1 lb. ground beef
1 jar marinara sauce
1 box spaghetti
1 box taco shells

Boil large pot of water and cook spaghetti to directions on box. Bake taco shells according to directions. Brown ground beef and top with sauce until thoroughly heated. Mix with pasta. Carefully put a large scoop of spaghetti in taco shells. Enjoy with lots of napkins.

Day 4 – Pork Chops and Applesauce
This is my nod to the Brady Bunch. I know you all remember this episode. This was a staple for many families. Bring it back to your table with grilled twist.

Bone-in pork chops
Grill Seasoning
Zucchini cut lengthwise into quarters
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Jar of apple sauce

Heat outdoor grill or grill pan to med-hi heat. Sprinkle pork and zucs with olive oil and grill seasoning. Cook until zucchini is tender and pork is cooked all the way through. (Check it by cutting one open.) Serve with applesauce.

Day 5 – Spinach-Artichoke Pizza
This is a quick take on an old favorite.

Pizza dough from the refrigerated section
Jar of alfredo sauce
Jar of artichoke quarters, drained and chopped
Box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained (Use fresh if you have it)
Bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to directions. Roll out dough very thin. Top with alfredo sauce, you may not use all of it. Sprinkle on artichokes, spinach, and both cheeses. Bake until dough is browned and crispy and cheese is melted and golden.

Day 6 – Rotisserie Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Broccoli
This is a go to, almost no cook night meal. Get the bags of mashed potatoes and cook in the microwave. Steam the broccoli in the mic as well. Cut up the chicken and serve!

Day 7 – Left Over Buffet
You will probably have a ton of tidbits left. Put them on the counter and have a free-for-all.

Drink of the Week – Key Lime Margarita
This will always remind me of Pam. Thanks for sharing!

1 can frozen Bacardi margarita mix
1 can vanilla vodka
Ice

Put all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy, again and again!

With lots of love from your “Suzy Homemaker,”
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment