Sunday, March 8, 2009

After a snow day, I'm ready for spring...

Hello Everyone,

The time change has come again and it always throws me off for at least a week. I am looking forward to longer days and higher temperatures. It’s amazing that we had a snow day last week and this weekend, I’m wearing shorts. It does put me in the mood for some fresh recipes that are super fast. My goal this week is to have healthy recipes that require less than 30 minutes to prepare. Most of these are favorite internet recipes so they are easy to print but I add my suggestions for making them better for you or faster to create. They all have printer-friendly option at the request of a loyal friend.

Day 1 and 6 – Soy or Balsamic Glazed Mushrooms over Chicken
This is one recipe done two ways. Mushrooms are on sale this week so make one at the beginning of the week and one at the end. Let me know which your family likes best.

2-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (one per person will still have leftovers)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
2 (8 oz.) packages of sliced mushrooms
4 T. butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
4 tsp. soy sauce or balsamic vinegar (this is the only change needed to make the other recipe)

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Pour 3-4 T. olive oil in large skillet over med-hi heat. Cook chicken until brown on first side, about 7-8 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until done and remove to a plate. In the same skillet, drop in butter and melt. Add mushrooms and stir until they have softened and release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for another minute. Add soy sauce or vinegar and cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 4-6 minutes. Pour mushrooms over chicken breasts and serve with a veggie and couscous.

Day 2 – Broken Noodles with Tomato Sauce and Ricotta
Ricotta is one of my favorite cheeses. It’s high in protein and relatively low in fat if you buy the reduced fat. I’m using it twice this week to make sure you don’t throw any away. This is also a great way to use that jarred marinara sauce that’s always on sale. I use one large jar and a cup of chicken broth to make my dollar go farther. I also use whole wheat pasta. This is quick and easy to make, it may replace your normal spaghetti.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/broken-noodles-with-tomato-sauce-and-ricotta?autonomy_kw=broken%20noodles&rsc=header_1

Day 3 – Honey Soy Glazed Chicken on a Bone
My three year old loves to eat “chicken on a bone.” My friend, Jessica, hates it but will eat wings. You can make this recipe with either drumsticks or wings, both a great price at most markets. This is best served with a salad or carrot and celery sticks. I’ll be eating these while watching American Idol.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/honey-soy-glazed-chicken?autonomy_kw=honey%20soy%20glazed%20chicken&rsc=header_1

Day 4 – Beer Braised Pork and Black Beans
This is a great recipe full of flavor. I cook it for 8 hours on low and it comes out perfect. The best part is that it costs about $10 and tastes like a fancy meal at the Mexican restaurant. You can also use a slotted spoon to get just the beans and pork and put it into tortillas.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-beer-braised-pork-10000001694943/

Day 5 – Pesto Pizzas
This is one of my favorite Friday nighters. I love pizza that doesn’t taste like every other pizza. This recipe uses pesto as sauce and can be made even more healthy with the addition of fresh spinach and sundried tomatoes.

Small whole wheat pitas (split them in half if you like crispy crust)
Jar of pesto sauce
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Fresh spinach
Sundried tomatoes

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Top pitas with sauce, pesto, and cheese. Finish with toppings mentioned or your favorites. Heat in oven until cheese is melted and slightly brown. Enjoy!

Day 6 – See day 1

Day 7 – Leftovers!!!

Before I let you go I want to remind you that strawberries are in season and super cheap. Take advantage and buy some. Freeze them in the freezer before washing on a cookie sheet until hard and place them in a freezer bag to store. You can also slice them first. Here are a couple more ideas:

Strawberry Muffins:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mimis-Giant-Whole-Wheat-Banana-Strawberry-Muffins/Detail.aspx

Strawberries Flambéed in Vodka with Ice cream:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberries-Flambeed-in-Vodka-with-Hot-Ice-Cream/Detail.aspx

Strawberry BBQ Sauce:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Barbecue-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Strawberry Margaritas: (wishful thinking, of course)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Frozen-Strawberry-Margarita/Detail.aspx

Enjoy this great weather. I know the girls and I will. I look forward to hearing from you and trying your recipes. Add a comment to the bottom of this blog and include a favorite recipe or idea.

With strawberry kisses and a healthy start to spring,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment